QUALITY VIRGIN FIBERS
At Weidmann, most of our products are made from 100% softwood fibers (pulp) and water*. We are dedicated to keeping the pulp unbleached and do not add chemicals, formaldehyde or petroleum-based products to our processes. Our materials are manufactured using the inherent bonding properties of cellulose (hydrogen bonding), eliminating the need for any chemical binders. The manufacturing process uses only water, heat and pressure.
* our main focus is on products which are 100% natural, however, some blends are available based on customer requirements (softwood and cotton, softwood and recycled fibers).
Why use virgin fibers?
Fiber length is a crucial parameter in manufacturing paper and board. Weidmann source virgin fibers from softwood material which, compared to hardwood, minimize the risk of fiber breakage. Using virgin materials allows us to maintain the original fiber length and strength, which would both decline as the fiber is reprocessed. In addition, thanks to Weidmann’s selective tree sourcing, our virgin fibers are significantly longer in length than the market average, providing better stress resistance to the material as well as enhanced durability.
In comparison to recycled fibers, virgin fibers are better at accepting coatings and finishes. They are also more dimensionally stable. However, based on some customers’ requirements, a few of our materials incorporate synthetic fibers to enhance the properties. We believe that by combining virgin and recycled fibers we can achieve the right balance between high performance and low environmental impact.
Low emitting material
Weidmann commits to offering low emitting materials to ensure our customers’ health and safety. In contrast to other low-quality boards and papers, for example, MDF or Plywood, our materials do not passively emit any harmful chemicals, such as formaldehyde or phenolic, which can lead to various health problems.
TREES FROM SUSTAINABLY MANAGED FORESTS
Selection brings quality
Our pulp is made from fibers sourced from sustainably managed forests. To ensure the best cellulose and fiber quality, we have carefully selected pulp suppliers who source raw materials from a variety of pine species that grow exclusively in northern countries where the cold weather allows slower growth of the trees. Thanks to this selection, the fiber length reaches 2 to 4mm, compared to the average fiber length of 1.5mm found in lower-quality materials.
Ensuring forest development
As a responsible manufacturer, Weidmann is involved in a strict forest management program. All of our suppliers are certified by third-party institutions in their home countries:
- Canada – Canada’s National Standard for Sustainable Forest Management (CAN/CSA-Z809).
- Sweden – Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC).
- Chile – Chile’s National Sustainable Forest Management Certification Standard, endorsed by PEFC (CERTFOR).
These certifications ensure that our suppliers share the same respect for forest conservation and development as we do.
1 for 1: One key action is to respect quotas. Not only for culling trees, but also replanting them. For one tree cut, at least one tree is replanted.
Water is a vital element in paper and board production. At the first stage of production, it represents 98% of our base material, the remaining 2% is cellulose pulp. Weidmann is committed to the sustainable use of this critical resource.
All Weidmann production sites are strategically located close to natural water sources. Analyzing the amount of water used during the production process has allowed us to implement an efficient water recycling system so we can release the water back to its source. Pressing the pulp mix allows us to recover a maximum amount of water before moving on to the drying process. At the final stage, our Fiber Recovery System has a filter to withhold the fibers so crystal clear water can be released back to its source.
SUSTAINABLE MANUFACTURING SYSTEM
We aim to make our products part of a comprehensive, sustainable manufacturing system.
Weidmann has had an environmental strategy for many years, as evidenced by our ISO 9001 Quality Certification and ISO 14001 Environmental Certification. We were named Vermont’s first Environmental Business Leader by the state’s Agency of Natural Resources. Among the environmental procedures at our factories, we prohibit the use of any bleach, require the responsible management of withdrawals from local water sources and reuse all of the scrap produced within our facilities.
Weidmann is committed to manufacturing great products and striving for greener solutions in all aspects of our processes. Keep up-to-date with the important progress we are making.